Monfero: different styles in one monastery
The monastery is located in the parish of San Fiz de Monfero in the municipality of Monfero, province of A Coruña, and part of its territory is located within the Natural Park Fragas do Eume. It is currently in a state of ruin and abandonment.
It dates back to the founding of a monastery in the tenth century destroyed by the Normans, and was rebuilt on the initiative of King Alfonso VII in 1134, living a few years of splendor. It was a benedict community that will become Cistercian. Later, in the sixteenth century, its construction was renewed, granting a classic style. A century later, some Baroque works will be undertaken.
The church belonging to the monastery is the best preserved part. It was consecrated in 1655. In the old twelfth-century Romanesque church with three naves and three apses, only the southern wall is preserved with an access door with a pointed arch. From the current Baroque church stands the facade, characterized by its checkered decoration, two pilasters and four giant Corinthian columns. Inside, the prominence lies in its large dome and the graves of famous people of the house Andrade: Nuno Freire de Andrade, Fernán Pérez de Andrade O Mozo, and Diego de Andrade.
The monastery consists of three beautiful cloisters of different styles: the Cloister of the guesthouse still retains Renaissance remains; the Processional Cloister Renaissance houses inside a Baroque fountain; and the higher and Baroque: the Cloister Bedroom.
Painting courtesy of José Yáñez