Several bridges to reach Betanzos
Instead of the Castro of Untia, chosen for the population transfer from Betanzos Viejo, forms a peninsula bathed by the revers Mandeo (Florius) y Mendo (Mudus) that forced the construction of bridges to communicate with the other areas of the Kingdom. There were two separate bridges to save booth currents.
It’s a possibility that the old bridge existed before hand as a bypass of the roman rout over the river Mandeo. Five arches and stone sill, it had sidings, tower of Caramona and crucero, rebuild during the last stride of the XVI century by the master Juan de Nábeda. It would be expanded during the XIX century and irrationally reformed in 1980. Communicates the city of Ferrol and Villalba, in the English peregrination ways y and the older French way to the north of Santiago.
The new bridge, built over the Mendo river was the way of communication with La Coruña and later on with the royal way to Castilla. These gothic bridge, of three arches in its origins it would be reconstructed during the last period of the XVI century by the masters Jacome of Villar and Pedro of Barros, and the tower also known as la Caramona, that was built on the middle arch , would be re dressed in 1606 by te masters Gonzalo of Portela and Jacome of Castrelo. The works over stone and granite slabs, expansion of the road and the construction of two new eyes , one on each side and in charge of them was Juan of Llana in 1634. That would be blown up by British troops the 11 of January of 1809 by English troops under the command of the general Sir John Moore, on its retreat to embark in A Coruña. But it will be its full blowing up in 1970 by the ministry of public works, being substituted by a nother bridge made out of cement and only one eye, that would be up to service in 1972, these was happening in a comunidad declared Historic-Artistic group.
The Cascas bridge, made with only one arch over the river and as accorded in the year 1200, it’s an obligated by bass to continue the Camino de Santiago and leave Betanzos behind. It will be re dressed in 1634 for the master Juan de la Llana and blown up by the English in 1809, at the same time that the new bridge, and given the city’s shield in 1846, to rebuild the arch that was lost during the independence war.
Other medieval bridges exist like the one of Roibeira reconstruído in 1634 over the river Mendo, connection from Betanzos and Brabío with Santiago of Requián. The modern bridge of Cachiñas that communicates the city of Carregal and Pasatiempo. de La Ribera pedestrian bridges over the river Mandeo and the river Frade over the Mendo and finally the iron one of the train line of Betanzos with Ferrol.
All of them make sense to the statement of professor Guttenberger Casado: “Betanzos, cuyo emblema antiguo era un puente y que merece llamarse la ciudad de los puentes”.