The tower – fortress: strategic point in the history of Mesía
In the place of A Pobra, in the parish of Bascoi, you can visit the archaeological remains of the ancient tower – fortress of Mesía, in one of the towns that belong to the English Way. This fort, built in the late thirteenth or early fourteenth century, was a strategic military point that symbolized the control and command of a wide geographical area. In the past, the head of the jurisdiction of Mesía was placed here, covering 45 parishes, including those of neighboring municipalities. This jurisdiction was exercised from the fifteenth century by the Bishop of Santiago de Compostela.
Although many authors cite the lordship of Mesia and its tower over history, the first written information we have about it dates from 1401, which states that it was built or rebuilt by Gonçalvo Días de Mesía, noble who belonged to trastamaristas supporters in the Civil War. The year 1467 was crucial in the history of the Tower-Fort of Mesia since it was taken and overthrown almost completely by the irmandiños, up in arms during the revolta irmandiña . Subsequently, it was restored and remained standing until the mid-nineteenth century, when it was demolished for the use of stones in buildings in the area.
When jurisdictions became extinct and municipalities were created, the City Council of Mesía adopted on its shield the figure of the tower and purchased the land surrounding the fort-tower to the banks of the Samo river. Currently, the archaeological remains of the Tower-Fort of Mesía are declared as Cultural Interest.